Every machine has some sort of moving parts that involve relative sliding or rolling motion. Examples of relative motion is linear sliding motion, such as in machine tools, and rotation motion, such as in motor vehicle wheels. Bushing and bearing are all kinds of moving parts.
What is bushing and what does it do?
The bushing is a cylindrical-shaped machine component, an independent plain bearing that is used to support a shaft. The bushing is mainly plain bearings equipped with rolling elements such as rollers or balls and used as a support element in an assembly. It’s used to limit the size of the opening, resist abrasion, or serve as a guide.
The difference between bushings and other rolling bearings
The thing that distinguishes bushing from other rolling-element bearings is its assembly-bushing is comprised of only one part rather than multiple parts as with bearings. One of the most common applications of the bushing is in vehicle suspension systems, where rubber bushings are used throughout a vehicle’s suspension to ensure a balance between a good ride and reasonable durability.
What is a bearing? What is the function of the bearing?
A bearing is a machine element that constrains relative motion to only the desired motion and reduces friction between moving parts. The design of the bearing may, for example, provide for free linear movement of the moving part for free rotation around a fixed axis; or it may prevent a motion by controlling the vectors of normal forces that bear on the moving parts.
Bearings are classified broadly according to the type of operation, the motions allowed, or the directions of the loads applied to the parts.
Bearing is specifically designed to extend bearing life in machines, reduce friction energy losses and wear, and minimize maintenance expenses. Bearings may be divided into two general classes: journal bearings and thrust bearings. In journal bearing, the load acts at right angles to the axis, whereas in thrust bearing, the load acts parallel to the axis.
There isn’t really a difference: bushing is a type of bearing. In general, a bearing facilitates movement between two parts while reducing friction. Simple in design, the typical bearing has two surfaces that roll over each other, enabling two mating components to move frictionlessly.
Differences between bushing and bearing
- Bearing are precision-made machine components that allow machinery to move at extremely high speeds while reducing friction between moving parts and handling stress. Most bearings are used to support rotating shafts in machines.
- Bushing, on the other hand, is an independent plain bearing that is used to support a shaft and operates with sliding motion between the moving surfaces. It is a round-shaped cylindrical component used in numerous applications, providing features that are not associated with many other rolling-element bearings. Bushing goes into a housing assembly to provide a bearing surface for rotary applications.
- The bushing is mainly plain bearings equipped with rolling elements such as roller or ball, and used as a support element in an assembly, whereas bearing allows relative movement between the components of machines while providing some type of location between them.
- Bushings are independent plain bearing that is mostly comprised of several different materials combined to form a single load-carrying assembly. The one thing that distinguishes bushings from other rolling-element bearings is that bushing is mainly a single independent one-part assembly whereas bearings are made of two or more components.
- Applications of bushing and bearing
What are the best bushing materials?
The design of the bushing can be simple. However, the properties and functions of the bushing may vary by material.
Bronze bushings provide exceptional strength and long life. They do not corrode and do not deform easily. However, bronze bushings require extensive lubrication during operation and therefore require more maintenance than plastic bushings.
Plastic bushings are often used as low-cost, low friction, low maintenance options. It is self-lubricating, so it is suitable for inaccessible places, there is no risk of corrosion, so it can be used in wet environments.
In Landtopmall, you can buy many kinds of bushings and bearings. Our mission is to try our best to satisfy your need.